Monday, June 2, 2014

AWESOME IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT - PLATARAN BOROBUDUR RESORT

My flight aborted while in full speed on the runway and we were hours late and arrived when it was dark. The whole day was not going as planned and all I needed was a little paradise on earth where I could relax and enjoy my evening. 

From the moment I checked into the Plataran Borobudur Resort in Java, Indonesia, I was receiving just that - Paradise on earth! Checking in was a warm and welcome procedure where I was given a 10 minute shoulder massage on the veranda of the lobby before I was shown my "Paddy Cabana" - a stand alone wooden cabana in the middle of a lush garden.  I loved everything, despite the rustic look and feel! A comfortable bed, enough space for storage, plenty of amenities in the bathroom and minibar all set in a quiet and natural setting. Mind you, the frogs and birds make some soothing sounds and the nearby call for prayer was also kind of meditative for my stay. 

I mentioned my experience with the awesome restaurant and food selection already in my last blog, so I will not repeat myself here. However it is worthwhile to mention that the restaurant itself was a nice place to cool down and have a nice glass from a great selection of wines and other drinks, and it all came with great service, friendly staff and to my surprise with a perfectly German-speaking waiter! But also all the English-speaking waiters and waitresses were great.  At all meals of the day and specially at breakfast I was given options, which I could not even think of myself. No boring buffet which was standing there for hours, but freshly prepared and very tasty food. 

In my own ranking system the Plataran Borobudur Resort excelled in everything: 

Location 5 of 5
Room Size 5 of 5
WiFi free and working 5 of 5
Breakfast included and yummy 5 of 5
Staff competency and friendliness 5 of 5
Safety box in the room and adequate size 5 of 5
Bathroom functionality 5 of 5
Room design and functionality 5 of 5
Sounds 5 of 5

Location - Borobudur temple during Vesak Holiday! I had been staying at the only hotel on the temple grounds before, and had checked out early because I did not like the room. I have also had dinner at the nearby luxury hotel, where Richard Gere and others stay, but the view from the Plataran for sunrise and daytime views of the temple is superior!

The WiFi connection, to my full surprise, worked flawlessly even at the furthest corner of the resort. I even used it in the shaded seating area next to the rice field on the bottom of my cabana! 

Sounds - Though it was a wooden cabana in the middle of nature and not too far away from prayer halls, I enjoyed heavenly sleeps during my week at the resort. 

Service - The staff of the hotel will try to fulfill all your requests and wishes. They even went out of their way to get me medicine I needed from a town some distance away  and offered late night and early morning driving services to the temple during Vesak Day ceremonies. 

All in all it was a week of being pampered and spoiled by friendly people, many of whom I have become friends with. It is definitely a place I will go back to again. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment