Saturday, December 27, 2014

MY HOTEL SENTRAL EXPERIENCE - KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

So, it was worth a try to check out another hotel. It was a friends recommendation and I chose it for the location and the price. Picking the highest category of Hotel Sentral in K.L.'s  Sentral/Brickfields area I thought I would save some budget on my travels and still stay central. 

There is actually nothing "executive" in the booked "executive" rooms at Hotel Sentral, other then being on the 15th floor, which is the top floor. The room itself was smaller than the room of a friend who just booked a normal room there. The price of the room was still good, so my expectations were set to that price level. 

In my own rating system, the Hotel would come out like this (based on the cheaper price)

Location 5 of 5 (as a conscious decision)
Room Size 4 of 5
WiFi free and working 2 of 5
Breakfast included and yummy 5 of 5
Staff competency and friendliness 3 of 5
Safety box in the room and adequate size 5 of 5
Bathroom functionality 4 of 5
Room design and functionality 3 of 5
Sounds 2 of 5

The room had windows, but very small ones, going out the backside of the hotel. They did not lock properly, so I could still hear all the sounds coming up from the street level. 

The Wifi was free but basically non-existent to me. I gave up when I lost my connection during an important transaction. 

Breakfast was surprisingly good. Vegetarian and Indian options. Not many options for western visitors, but that is ok with me. 

The cleaning of the room happened late. Very late! And having the "do not disturb" sign outside did not keep the staff from calling my room phone to fill up the mini-bar. After telling them that I did not use the mini-bar I got another call from the lobby that the staff needs to fill the mini-bar! This process is done independently of the room cleaning, so you are disturbed twice!

The location was chosen purposely by me. Easy access to KL Sentral station was a key objective and with the new link between the Station and Nu Sentral Mall, the hotel is easily accessible through a few escalators and a short walk. Though when it rains you will still be wet. 

All in all a cheaper hotel, but it failed to live up to my expectations with regards to the executive rooms. Getting a normal room will be the same I think and it is ok for a night or two. No pool, no gym, no thrill, long waits at the lift but for the price level it is ok.  For the same price you will get a windowless mini-room without breakfast in Singapore!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment