Tuesday, June 23, 2015

MY HEAVENLY SLEEPS - HOLIDAY INN MELAKA MALAYSIA

Finally Melaka, Malaysia. Long planned and finally visited. Friends suggested boutique hotels in the old town, specifically around Jonkers. However, I like convenient hotels, large rooms with a view, large breakfast buffets and a gym. 

The location of the Holiday Inn, Melaka, along the beach (not really a beach but more an industrial, artificial shore line) was picked on purpose. In my opinion the location is great. You have shopping malls and restaurants right opposite of the hotel and you can still walk to the tourist destinations without being impacted by the masses of visitors. Only downside is that you have to make it alive across the really busy road. At certain times it is almost impossible to get across and the Hotel staff also warns you not to attempt crossing it. However it is possible and there are also save underpaths just 100 meters north of the hotel.

Since I chose to take the bus from KL to Melaka and opted to use the buses which stop at the Mahkota Medical Center, it was just a short walk to and from the hotel, though with luggage along and across that busy 5 or 6 lane road. 

The hotel staff was really friendly at all times and offers help wherever they can. A free shuttle to the tourist spots was available but has to be booked in advance. Upon asking if the shuttle could give me a quick ride down to my bus stop (5 mins) so I didn't have to drag my luggage along the busy road, the staff checked but still told me it was not possible and that they would instead call me a taxi. The taxi driver would have hated me for such a short ride, so I still walked!

The room was spacious and comfortable. The view towards the city was great. The rooms with the view to the ocean cost more and the view is not really that special. The breakfast buffet had plenty of choices, but in my 4 days there were lots of groups who hosted events in the hotel and it was really difficult finding a table in the morning.

The noise from the street was one of the real drawbacks though. The windows are really thin glass with no protection against the noise. You can hear trucks and cars all day and night. I had to use ear plugs to get some sleep!

In my own rating system the Holiday Inn, Melaka comes out like this:

Location 5 of 5 (as a conscious decision)
Room Size 5 of 5
WiFi free and working 2 of 5
Breakfast included and yummy 5 of 5
Staff competency and friendliness 4 of 5
Safety box in the room and adequate size 5 of 5
Bathroom functionality 5 of 5
Room design and functionality 5 of 5
Sounds 1 of 5


The pool of the hotel looks great, but it totally in the sun with no shade! The gym on the other hand is one of the best I have had in my travels, and with a great view.  The free wifi worked only occasionally and I gave up trying to connect. 








 









No comments:

Post a Comment