Friday, March 24, 2017

MY LEISURELY WALK AROUND YANGON

Minister's Office - The Secretariat
Since I already spent a full 10 day visit in Yangon before, I had the option on this trip to just leisurely walk around the city and explore areas I had not seen before. Starting from the east end of Kandawgyi Lake, I walked in an almost straight line down south, heading to the Prime Minister's Offices - The Secretariat, which featured an exhibition by artist Wolfang Laib. The exhibition was called "WHERE THE LAND AND WATER END" and I was excited to finally being able to enter the holy grail of Yangon, the always locked up Secretariat Building. However, it turned into a big disappointment since NO PHOTOGRAPHY was allowed of the building itself. I was approached two times by an overly eager tour guide who led a German-speaking group through the Building. I had asked the exhibitors personally if photography inside the building was allowed and they said yes, but not even the hallway and the stairways were parts I could take photos of. The inside courtyard was also off limits. So, I just enjoyed the few pieces of art and left again, taking photos from outside the fence, as before!

From The Prime Minister's Offices I walked back to Sule Pagoda, which I had seen before, passed it and went straight to Chinatown. My visit happened during the start of Chinese New Year and I was hoping for a lot of action around Chinatown. Besides the decorations and lanterns, the temple was busy, but most programs happened in the evening. They also scheduled a large alms giving ceremony at 5am, but I could not get myself to get up that early and walk over to the street which leads to Shwedagon Pagoda. Another reason was really that walking in the dark is not really advisable in Yangon. The sidewalks, where they exist, are not safe to walk. They have lots of huge holes for the drainage, which are often not covered. 

So, besides the two main points of my visit, the Secretariat and the temple in Chinatown, I only visited two Christian Churches along the way. St. Mary's Cathedral on the way down and the Holy Trinity Cathedral on the way back. With a brief stop for lunch at the Bogyoke Aung San Market, it was a pretty long and day filling walk!

St. Mary's Cathedral

St. Mary's Cathedral

St. Mary's Cathedral


Wolfgang Laib exhibition

Wolfgang Laib exhibition

Minister's Office - The Secretariat

Sule Pagoda

Chinatown

Chinatown

Chinatown

Chinatown



Holy Trinity Cathedral

No comments:

Post a Comment