Monday, November 27, 2017

NEVER TRUST YOUR HOTEL BOOKING SITE RATINGS

The same old game when staying in Singapore during Formula 1 days! Where to stay for a somewhat acceptable price? I have given up! I have stayed in so many hotels in Singapore and finally came to the conclusion that you either just accept their horrendous prices or skip going there completely! 

Misleading location, the entrance is actually on Niven Road!
For the 2017 Formula 1 race I had reserved my usual small room in Chinatown where I had stayed several times before, but then I fell for the positive ratings of my Hotel Booking Site and cancelled the room for a "better rated" and somewhat cheaper room along Mackenzie Road. "Cheaper" here means really just that all hotels are overpriced and not worth the money! 

To start with, the taxi from the airport did not find my ZEN Rooms Mackenzie Hotel (located in Rucksack Inn @ Mackenzie). It went right past it and due to the the one way street, I had to pull my heavy luggage down the street and into Niven Road. It would have helped it the hotel had either a clearer signage or even mentioned their hidden entrance location in the confirmation mails. 

City Inn, Rucksack Inn or Zen Rooms?
Strangely there is no lobby, but rather a lift up to the fifth floor where you can check in. All went swiftly and with friendly staff. The room was down on the third floor and though I had imagined it nicer, based from the positive reviews, it was ok-ish. For a week during the Formula 1 action, I was not going to spend much time in the room anyway. The double room was big enough to drag my luggage inside and not stumble over it. The bathroom was not clean when I moved in. The floor looked much cleaner after housekeeping came the next day. All in all it was an acceptable room. No facilities for breakfast though and the noise level was much louder from the street outside than inside the hotel. 

Double room with window!
Room cleaning all week was really really late. So late that I actually called and asked if they had forgotten my room. One day I actually cancelled the room cleaning because it was already getting dark outside anyway! So, big minus points for the cleaners! 

While I had a window in the double room for my Formula 1 week, I came back a few weeks later for my trip home and just booked two nights in a single room. I had no idea that the room came without a window and it was as tiny as those rooms in Chinatown. Upon entering the room I knew that there was no way of me sleeping in this stuffy little room. The bathroom was filthy, the bed looked like it had been used already and the TV set was leaning on the desk and against the wall, unplugged and blocking the light switches. Just impossible to stay here, so I just sat down and booked myself a much better room for a much higher price, down the street!  

Had the second room been comparable to the first room I had, I would have rated Zen Rooms Mackenzie a bit higher in my personal rating system, but the horrible second experience, combined with the fact that not one single taxi driver found the hotel due to the bad signage, misleading location and the unacceptable room cleaning service, I will surely never use this Hotel again and mis-trust those ratings in the two Hotel booking sites I used. 


Double Room with window

Double Room
Single room


Single room TV set

Single room barhroom

Single room bathroom

The entrance to the hotel

 

No comments:

Post a Comment